Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Great New Dinner

I'm always looking for a new dinner idea.  I cook a lot of the same things over and over.  This is for two reasons; 1 - my husband is really picky and 2 - I like things that are easy and relatively plain.  I get really excited when I find a new recipe that we both like.  It is a Pampered Chef recipe called "Creamy One Pot Pasta".  With a name like that, how can it not be good?

Ingredients

4 large garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1 jar (7 oz) sun dried tomatoes in oil, undrained
3 cans chicken broth (5 1/4 cups)
1 lb uncooked Penne pasta
1 head of broccoli
2 medium carrots
4 oz reduced fat cream cheese
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Grated fresh Parmesan cheese and snipped fresh basil (optional)

Place sliced garlic and 1 tbsp oil from the sundried tomatoes into a large stock pot.  Cook garlic over medium heat until garlic is golden brown.  Remove from heat; add broth.  Return to burner; increase heat to high.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Stir in pasta; cover adn simmer vigorously 8-10 minutes or until pasta is almost cooked but still firm, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, cut broccoli into small florets; place in a bowl.  Cut carrots into small coins.  Drian sun dried tomatoes; pat dry with a paper towel.  Slice tomatoes into thin strips.  Add carrots and tomatoes to bowl.

Cut cream cheese into cubes.  Add vegetables, cream cheese, salt and pepper into stock pot.  Stir until cream cheese is melted and fully incorporated.   Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook an additional 2-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Serve immediately.  If desired, top with Parmesan cheese and basil. 

Servings = 6

Nutrients per serving; Calories 410, Total Fat 11 g, Sat Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Carbs 65 g, Protein 15 g, Sodium 1,000 mg, Fiber 5g

I omitted the broccoli (my husband can't stand the stuff) and I added pre-cooked chicken breast strips.  Next time, I would also cut the pepper down to 1/4 tsp.  I have a pretty delicate palette. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment